Welcome to Emily’s blog! Here’s a bit about myself if you’re interested. I’m an 18-year-old female who has just started a bachelor of education (primary) at ACU. I have a passion for working with children and I’m very excited for my future career… except for when it comes to science. My knowledge on science is not very broad; I struggled in high school and didn’t take much interest. However it is compulsory for me to study science in university so I’m going to try my best.
This week’s lecture was an introduction into what we as a class thought science was and what was the purpose of science. According to the lecture slides some purposes of science are:
- Prepare children for future careers – Teaching the knowledge and skills to become a scientist.
- Cultural and social transmission – Passing on the knowledge, skills and values of a society. Preparing students to become skilled, productive citizens.
- Personal and Social Change – Caring, compassionate and ethical critical thinkers. Helping to develop a more socially just society.
After these discussions we learnt the basics of the 8 centres of Care, which are:
- Care for self
- Care for intimate others
- Care for the local community
- Care for other cultures
- Care for other species
- Care for the natural environment
- Care for the world we inhabit
- Care for other ideas